Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Very Perry

So, The C.Dutchie difference between my hair pieces and those you see in your everyday store; is that what I make is a accessory/ Art hybrid.

 Each piece has a title, a clue into the manifestation of the piece.

I draw from all different place, people and things. Some days its a mood, a song, a dress, a book, even just one spoken line. The title usually reflects either the inspiration or how I feel about the piece in its aftermath.

I personally make EACH piece by HAND.
And when I say by hand, I truly mean it. I had paint each flower, many times with my fingers. Every rhinestone, sequin or embellishment I place using only a tooth pick as my tool. This all takes time, and concentration but the outcome is something I am proud of, being able to design and make pieces keeps me at peace, and allows the customer a one of a kind piece of artwork, as well as a fashion statement. I try and use the best quality materials--which aren't cheap when you aren't buying wholesale (in time Id love to be able to mass produce certain pieces and continue to create my one of a kinds)- and when charging I try and be fair with each piece, the materials used and the time it has taken me to make. I also ensure that any purchase; should anything break or happen to it, can be sent to me for repair (you know as long as you didn't take a knife and slice it.)

This piece started off as homage to a dress which it looks nothing like, so as I continued on and finished; I found myself saying "This is SO Katy Perry" and that's how it got its name "Very Perry."
The combination of colors are Katy's signature style, fun, bright, girlie and wild. Though it wasn't based on a particular outfit or moment of Ms.Perrys, I feel that the overall piece brings her essence.


No comments:

Post a Comment