Monday, February 14, 2011

And then there was the Grammy's.

I personally love award shows, especially in music. You get a chance to see the artists that made your I-pod for the year and hear their hits as they've never been heard before, in collaboration with unusual pairing of artists.
HOWEVER, the grammys has this tendency to nominate from a select pool of artists, throw in a random and a old timer and at the end of the night its usually the old timer (who's song you may have never heard once over the course of the year) that gets the grand prize; Best Album.
Honestly, I don't know anything about Arcade Fire. Sorry, booo..,I'm a whore, get over it. But as far as I'm concerned (and I am VERY concerned) Eminem and Lady Gaga were robbed of this.

A year ago I didn't know who Lady Gaga even was. But she came out with hit after hit, collaborations and a social stand in society. You can play her entire album and not have to skip over a song. Her ballads are beautiful, reminding us that under that Egg lies a very talented young lady who has revolutionized music in a very short period. Though her new song may as well be Madonna, few have done for music what Gaga has in such a short time frame; or ever.

BIASED ALERT:

Eminem is the fucking MAN. Maybe its because I see myself in him. Maybe its because I feel his pain, struggle and heart. Or maybe its just because I have ears...but Recovery in my less then humble opinion should have won album of the year. Eminem is who I grew up on, the sound track to my summers and the greatest story teller of all time. (Yep, I said it) Recovery to me was not only about Eminems personal struggle, but a symbol for our times and the ramifications of fame on an individual soul. The rise, the praise, the greed, the fear, the fall and if were lucky the glory of overcoming the demons. If your like me you root for people, people who you've seen on top of the world and lose it because of the times. Because we make celebrities believe they are godly, untouchable and then we stone them down and exploit their human flaws.
"Love the Way you lie" makes you burn inside
"Space Bound" reminds us that were all walking the same walk.
"Not afraid" an anthem to overcome yourself, something I NEEDED and that could only come from Em.

And then the performance. Em killed it, Rhianna sounded a little off (looked like her ear mic wasn't working) and then came Dre (looking nervous at first and like "damn this is where I belong" by the end) The song "I Need a Doctor" should just have taken the grammy for best song, listen to the lyrics. This is the true tale, lyrical mastery of real "I have our back forever" friendship. It reminds us that at the bottom, you will always have that one person still fighting to get you above ground. Beautiful, profound and the Doc is in.

The song "I need you now" can suck it. I'm so sick of hearing it on all movie soundtracks and commercials. Why wasn't "Soldier of Love" nominated? Sades album would also be pick of the year for me, and she a usual grammy favorite was ignored. I mean it took the girl like 8 years to make a new album can we get a lil something something for her?

And with that I look for inspiration for my next piece, Gaga inspired Egg flower anyone???

Ha, as if. But I would like to see her in a giant dutchie flower!

So ill leave you with this a lil video I took at the Yankee Stadium concert with Em and Jay...and some extra guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment